Remote VS In-Person Depositions
Depositions are not legally necessary, but they are a step that can only benefit an attorney. Legal professionals host a deposition to to gather a complete profile of facts and testimonies for their case. Their court reporter records all questions and answers and put them in an easy-to-navigate transcript that attorneys then use for analysis.
Usually, depositions occur in a meeting space. With our current global health crisis, however, large meetings are advised against. But even from the safety of their homes, attorneys can host a deposition via videoconference. Remote depositions are used in the same way as in-person depositions, but there are some key differences to keep in mind between the two.
Prepare for Remote Depositions
- Inform everyone involved (witnesses and opposing counsel) that you would like to conduct a remote deposition.
- Share any and all documents and exhibits with all parties (including your court reporter).
- Make sure you have a functioning external webcam and microphone, or use a device with built-in webcam and microphone.
- Wear professional clothing and make sure your background is professional.
- Limit background noise.
- Do not speak over another person, and speak slowly and clearly to ensure you are heard.
Prepare for In-Person Depositions
- Schedule your meeting space ahead of time.
- Reserve your equipment ahead of time.
- Take into account travel time and expenses.
- Arrive at the meeting space on time.
- Make sure any audio and video equipment works properly.
- Dress for court.
A Plethora Of Litigation Services At Your Fingertips!
With 24 hour scheduling 7 days a week, we provide the litigation support you need anytime, anywhere!
Our luxurious and convenient conference rooms equipped with video conferencing technology, perfect for your next deposition!
Our website provides document repository services that enable easy access to case material 24/7 from anywhere in the world!
We provide itemized invoices and transparent billing for all our clients so they know what each service costs!